Tuesday 25 March 2008

Gig Review: Tales from the Back Passage: The Flesh Happening and Other Adventures in Space

There’s been no lack of live music in The Land of Fabpants during past couple of weeks or so, and the good days are set to continue. I’ve seen two artists singing about excrement, and I’m not sure what that says about me, my tastes and my friends. But, do we give a shit? No, we never give away our shits.

On the 14th March, I was signed into a ‘private members’ gig at The Cowley Club. For those of you who don’t know it, The Cowley Club is a libertarian social centre run by volunteers. The members, when they’re not doing whatever it is they do, spend long afternoons discussing how to instigate social change and sowing small revolutionary seeds.

‘Private members?’ I hear you cry. I know, it simply screams out ‘we’re inclusive’, doesn’t it? The revolution is only for those that have spent three months, at the very least, sharing the social responsibility of recycling tetra paks in a communal space, don’t you know? Everyone else gets shot. Actually, it’s easier to sell alcohol in a private members bar, and they’re all addicted to vodka. Or maybe they’re just scared of having their ideals diluted by outsiders. Sometimes, it’s hard to tell.

It was at the Cowley Club that I saw ‘The Flesh Happening’.

Did the flesh happen? It sure did.

It started as a synthetic novelty and became increasing asexual as the night disrobed. Yes, the lead singer, Oliva Spleen, a thin towering giant, lurched into the room adorned in a cheap suit of foamy flesh. Yum. The flesh did happen. Primark really do think of everything these days.

Oliva’s face was filled with dark feigned torment. Wayward gothic tears pretended to fall from his large shallow eyes.

Someone has been stealing at ‘Claire’s Accessories’, I heard a policeman telling the staff at Rounder Records two days earlier. All the clues are there. ‘Getting ready is half the fun’ is their tagline. Surely, they know that their proposed ethos includes shoplifting? Don’t they? Teenage girls and men like Mr Spleen need a hobby. They need more than just a flesh suit and legal purchases. There’s a reason that Oliva changed his name.

I wanna be adored, no sorry, he wants to be adored. You adore him, you adore him, he wants to be abhorred.

Oliva Spleen is the fetish version of Justin Hawkins, with short black hair. While, the band may turn in their beds to read such comparisons, Oliva and dear old Justin may well have come from the same attention seeking womb. One came out with the voice of a screaming girl and the other erupted as a screaming queer; both in love with being stared at in tight bodysuits. Extreme vanity does like to be nurtured.

Before long, artificial flesh, ripped and ragged, revealed whiter flesh in a tight leather leotard. Yum yum. Do I have to write ‘not’? Oliva reeled about on the dirty floor, and a wooden spoon came out of his anus, or was that just a rumour? “Shit on Me, Shit on Me” indeed.

In the music, fans of wailing punk might delight. The lyrics were not thought provoking or clever, but they were provocative and a little obsessed with one topic. Yes, abolishing the Monarchy. No, subverting the mass media. Yes, burning down the immigration centres and setting the people free. Okay, none of the above. “You were a shirt lifting, deep fisting, cock sucking, fudge packing, friend on a bender”.

Sung with enough angst to give the impression of artistry, I’m sure that their songs will gather a strong following of dedicated fans. Provocative ditties for an alienated subculture have often done well, especially with an extreme front person. The voyeuristic upper middle class love that shit too. ‘Oh darling, did you see that sausage protruding from his poo hole?’ Forget the Dead Kennedys, they forgot to leave their brains behind, this is the Sex Pistols with an asshole obsession.

But, to say that they are a pure punk band would be wrong. Some of the songs were sweetly melodic, such as ‘One Up the Wrong’n’ and ‘Hitler and Jesus’. Still Oliva tries too hard to inject meaning into the words, and they end up sounding painfully contrived. There’s no denying the entertainment factor. I’m still convinced that they were conceived in an 80s squat, and got lost in the basement for 30 years.

Well, enough of all that.

Who else have I seen? Well, here’s a summary. I’m too lazy or busy to write much more.

They Came From the Stars (I Saw Them), 15th March 2008
An alien band, who initially sounded a bit too like an experimental jazz outfit (that’d be the sax) and then progressed into some fun psychedelic dance tunes. They wore nice white outfits and couldn’t sing. The songs were great when no one sang. I danced. The record company boss (“I’m a one man outfit, please buy something”) tried to sell me their album of six songs for £10. I offered him £6. He said £8. I asked him if the band’s singing was better on the CD. He said ‘no’ and walked away.

Stanley Brinks (aka Andre Herman Dune), Freschard and The Purple Organ, 18th March 2008
A-fucking-mazing. I’m not sure I should say anymore. It might break the spell. A-fucking-mazing. That’s it. I’m leaving it there. Go off, investigate and discover.

El Guincho, 23rd March 2008
‘Are you a looper?’ This guy is. He loops and loops and loops. Repetitive? No, never. Okay, yes. Very. With his left hand he twiddles a vast array of knobs to play samples, beats and wonderful Latino freckled grooves. With his right hand he plays a solitary drum and generates captivating tribal rhythms. With his voice he chants. What he chants, I have no fucking idea. Maybe it’s Spanish; he is. I danced. When I got bored of a song, I danced some more. And one by one the loops began to fade and die. It was like a microcosm of life.

2 comments:

O.Spleen said...

Dear Miss Fabpants,

I felt I should write a response to your delightful review as its now one of the first things that comes up when you google “the flesh happening”.

I knew it wouldn’t be long before we came across one of those journalists who love to rant for pages about bands they really hate but can barely muster a paragraph for those they love. I’m flattered you think we are worth your energy.

First all this about the venue; “Private members? I hear you cry. I know, it simply screams out ‘we’re inclusive’, doesn’t it?”: The Cowley Club is a venue to which all are welcome (that’s how you got in) and anyone can join for a small donation. It’s run by volunteers i.e. they don’t get paid and that’s how you got your cheap alcohol. How rude of you to complain. It seems you had made up your mind about the night before you ventured out; why not just stay at home?

Second I don’t get all this stuff about shoplifting, Primark and “a cheap suit of foamy flesh”. I don’t shoplift or shop in Primark I was just wearing some garments I obtained second hand so wouldn’t mind ruining, still, you make it sound far more interesting than it was so I won’t complain.

Third, I had to google “Justin Hawkins” to see who you were comparing me to. Oh yes! The singer from The Darkness. Sorry to use your brand of sarcasm back at you but the extent of your musical knowledge must be phenomenal if this is the nearest front man you can compare me to and then go on to say that we don’t look or sing like one another and the only similarity is “tight bodysuits”.

A front person in a band is there to be looked at. The flamboyant androgynous front man is a tradition that goes back to medieval troubadours, through Music Hall and Cabaret, Little Richard, Iggy, Bowie and on and on. Not just five years ago when you were a fan of The Darkness. People who can’t see music beyond the context of their lifetime should not be attempting to be music journalists.

Next two of the songs you quoted us as playing that night Total Surrender and One Up The Wrong Un were not performed by us or anyone that night. I'm not even sure we did Hitler and Jesus.

One Up The Wrong Un was written and performed by our heterosexual bassist (what would a gay man’s concept of a “wrong un” be? There is no “right un”) we never perform the song live.

I expect the song that you saw as being “painfully contrived” and “injected with meaning” was Waste, which we don’t perform on the same set as Total Surrender and which is a pained song - performed in the first person - about how HIV is often distributed within the gay scene by people who feel they have been victims but go on to become the perpetrators. A video of this can be seen on Youtube. You evidently weren’t paying attention to the song as you had already chosen to close your mind to the performance and instead decided to write your review based on what we have up on our Myspace page.

As for being obsessed with one subject; The Flesh Happening have written about thirty songs of which about five have (different) references to anal sex. That is about accurate to the ratio that these themes and subjects occupy my life and mind. I’m only trying to be honest in my song writing.

Well enough of that.

I could go on but I would only be further wasting my energy on those who do not deserve it.

I hope you have a wonderful life.

O. Spleen

Emily Fabpants said...

Dear Olivia

I have volunteered at the Cowley Club myself and I think that it’s a brilliant space. I was mocking it affectionately. It is a private members club, and it is because of licensing laws.

I’m sorry that you found my review so painfully negative. I am extremely flattered by the fact that you've written a response and that you included the term ‘journalist’ within it. I am just a blogger that works very long days and loves seeing live bands; ‘The Flesh Happening’ included. I write a hurried commentary about life, as experienced by me, in the hope that it might help me to remember where I was last week. Google owns Blogger and seems to rank its own blog users very highly in its ratings. Sorry!

Hearing the police ask the 'men' in Rounders to help support the 'girls' at Claire’s Accessories with their shoplifting problem, was amusing in itself. I just loved the idea of you shoplifting for additional accessories, whilst dressed in your stage wear. Your stage wear is fantastic and I make odd connections. Yes, front men and women are there to be looked at. You have an amazing talent and hopefully a fantastic career in music ahead of you.

I also apologise for my grammatical error. ‘One Up the Wrong’n’ and ‘Hitler and Jesus’ are sweetly melodic, and perhaps were not so on that particular night. That is, apart from on MySpace on MyPC prior to the gig. I just wanted to highlight your sweetness in the context of punk referencing. I may have detoured from the live experience; I like detours. I sincerely apologise if any inaccuracy has offended you.

As for the ‘painfully contrived’ reference, it was not made with regard to the words in themselves; it was in relation to how they were sung. My personal experience was that you were injecting too much artificial meaning into them, which - for me - actually dumbs them down. People love performance driven singing and you are a great front person. My tastes are not indicative.

You have a brilliant name, which may have given me the false impression that you’re up for a bit of a bit of teasing about a bottom obsession. I love your honesty and I applaud it.

Finally, I am so sorry that you reminded me of Justin Hawkins. You just did. You are far better than The Darkness, but that is who you reminded me of, despite my phenomenal musical knowledge (yeah right!). Please accept my apologies for evidently upsetting you. I wish you every success and a million vegan treats. Thanks for a great night out. You got a full review because I loved it.

A real live front person left a comment on my blog… WOW! Can we leave it there? March is hard for me to remember now.

To the rest of you: check out The Flesh Happening. Add something different to your life. I almost guarantee a lasting memory of pleasure, shock and delight.

Love, Peace and Melody Paradise

Emily not so Fab and rather Pants, or so it seems x

Post a Comment