Tuesday 26 August 2008

Walking Ghosts

As promised, below is the next in my series of nuclear war and atomic bomb quotes, as collected by this lonely soul some 16 years ago. I managed to re-source the same quote in a book published just last year. It's hard to believe that the words refer to an event from real life.

“The appearance of the people was... well, they all had skin blackened by burns... They held their arms bent (forward),... and their skin – not only on their hands, but on their faces and bodies too - hung down. If there had been only one or two such people... perhaps I would not have had such a strong impression. But wherever I walked I met these people... Many of them died along the road – I can still picture them in my mind – like walking ghosts.” Survivor of the Hiroshima Bombing, 1962.

Now quoted in: The Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, By Valerie Bodden

If you missed the previous entries in this series, they are here:
Nuclear War and the Terrifying Stupidity of Humankind
The Atom Bomb Survivors and The Day Today
Needless To Say...

Fabpants Recommends: BC Camplight - Blink of a Nihilist. I have just rediscovered this album. I got a strange form of enjoyment out of it last year and then forgot to prioritise it for later judgement. As they weave their way through candyfloss melodies, lyrics like "We've been living in your basement", "I'm not talking to you darling", “I’m in love with you and your little sister too”, and "I've Got a Bad Cold" are aptly self-mocking. This album is at its best when it sounds like it is taking the piss out of itself. Falsetto vocals and self-mockery should never live apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment