Thursday 13 May 2010

Gig Review: Er war ein Punker

Future of the Left, Brighton’s The Freebutt, 4th December 2010

Seeing Future of the Left was amazing. It’s always amazing. I was down the front, holding an idiot’s elbow out of my face. I sang along when they all sang along. My eyes popped in wonder while Falco’s eyes popped with effort.

Andrew Falkous is the singer and guitarist of Future of the Left. He should not be confused with the ‘Rock Me Amadeus’ Falco. That would be very wrong.

Where do Future of the Left find the energy? For some bands, a gig is more than a gig. It’s a chance to sweat, shine and almost shit with effort. Performing with great, unpretentious ferocity is an art. Future of the Left doesn’t entertain shouting or screaming. Ferocious singing sets them apart. It’s impossible not to be sucked in by the force of their delivery.

This is a band that uses footnotes on their MySpace blog. Acerbic wit is a wonderful thing. They are damn, damn funny. No one can deny warmth of character, when they have a song about a pussy cat, a very pretty pussy cat. The crowd bait the band and the band baits them back. Did I say they are damn funny, no sorry, damn, damn funny?

Support act Tubelord are evidently quite popular or they paid people to see them. It was a bit too post-Nirvana fallout for me, a bit too been there, and decided 'no' first time round. It’s a shame that their audience didn’t stick about. They might have learnt something about innovation.

Future of the Left lost a member this month. They say "How do we(*1) feel about it, as a band? Well, sad, happy, annoyed and relieved at the same time. Like human beings, all told." "(*1) Jack and I."

I feel sad. I feel happy because I saw them all having a great time together. When all three of them joined in with the crowd banter, it was at its best. They made each other funny.

SETLIST - as taken from the stage - gaffer tape an' all!:
Eritrea
Chin
Wrigley
Bones
Plague / Fingers
Manchasm
Satan (intro)
Manatee
Formers
Yin/Post Yin
Gygm
Dead
Hope
Cloak


Fabpants Recommends: The new MGMT album is fucking ace. I like to so much, I had to listen to it again, and then again. Would it be wrong to listen to an album four times in a row? Fuck the naysayers. Don’t believe the tripe. ‘Congratulations’ has made me wish I had balls for it to grab.



No comments:

Post a Comment