Monday 12 May 2014

Festival Review: Drummers and their Patterned T-Shirts

The Great Escape 2014

Once upon a time ago, this blog was awash with gig and festival reviews. Then it wasn’t. So it goes. These things take time. With a heap of notes that never materialised into carefully recorded memories, even the post-gig scribbling eventually petered out. So it falters.

Yet, the love of live music never petered. Never. Gigs are great. So it is. Full stop.

It’s funny how much one forgets. If it’s not noted, life turns into recollection fuzz. Was I there? Me? What venue? He set his guitar alight? Really. I don’t recall! Am I the most inept that ever stepped?

Today, I have the day off, so let’s get back to recording some fabulous mmm-mm-memories.

Rating system (from very best to very worst):
Fucking Awesome, Ear Candy, Thumbs Up, Not for Me Thanks, Hideously Awful.

If you need to know, Ear Candy equals success! Fucking Awesome speaks for itself.


*** Thursday 8th May

Jaakko Eno Kalevi
Coalition
Thumbs Up (5/10)
A cross between Joy Division, the background music for a sleazy detective TV show, and a less melodic Hot Chip. Nowt special.

The Districts
The Haunt
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
This band like to wig out. I am not particularly keen on watching bands wig out. I knew what to expect, but, essentially, I was queuing inside for the next act!

Courtney Barnett
The Haunt
Thumbs Up (6.5/10)
Courtney was one of the acts to watch. I missed Solids to see her. She is in the NME on an almost weekly basis. Lucky her. She was first introduced to me via a monthly mixtape. Avant Gardener is undoubtedly a cracking tune, and her EPs set a fairly high bar, but something about her sound is oddly insincere. This is a gal that started her own record label. She is true DIY and Avant Gardner proves that. So what is my problem? I can’t say. But I can put my finger on what was wrong with this set. Too much pace, and too much wigging out. There you have it. I still stole the set-list and song notes! The list: David, Lance Jr, Canned Tomatoes, Are You Looking After Yourself?, Avant Gardener, Pedicure (I am not sure if this is a real title), History Eraser. I was impressed with the pace that Courtney maintained during Avant Gardner, but was pleased when she faltered slightly and the drummer gradually took it down a notch. That made the next two songs much better.

Grumbling Fur
Green Door Store
Ear Candy (7/10)
If I write ‘expansive electronica’ I could put myself off Grumbling Fur. I need to improve my musical lexicon. Grumbling is a great word, but the music didn’t grumble so much as glide. And then there is the ubiquitous musical landscape reference. Tick that box. So why do Grumbling Fur get a 7/10. Well, not just for the sparse, disarmingly warm, distorted vocals. My ears liked them. I doubt I will ever holler their name from the rooftops, but they enriched 30 minutes of my life. And so it goes.

East India Youth
Green Door Store
Ear Candy (7/10)
One lead. That was what the problem was. One lead. As EIY prepared to play, the stress-levels became increasingly pronounced. The engineer said check 1, EIY said check. All the way up to 10. But something wasn’t right. Sweat beads rolled in the gulley that nestles next to nasal canals. Tersely issued words were shared. I was undecided about missing my last train for EIY, but there I was, I had done it. I was watching a meltdown. A false start. EIY shook his head through the first track. His bottom left eyelid rose up with his each and every wince. Pause. Back to the equipment. Back to frustration. “Shall I come down” the engineer’s irate tone is noted. He comes. He quickly locates a lead and repositions it. The engineer’s booth is approximately seven paces from the stage. That’s all that was needed some 40 minutes earlier. EIY rattles through his set, thumping his equipment up and down. The least said about him forgetting to plug his guitar in the better. Was it good? It was fantastic, but shamefully short. Would I see him again. Yes! I did the next day.

***Friday 9th May

September Girls
Audio
Thumbs Up (6.5/10)
I am not sure what is it about Audio, but I have a feeling they don’t think too much of their clientele. They are the only small venue to check your bag. Out came my bottles of pop, slung into a black bag without so much as a ‘Sorry’. Yeah, they didn’t stay there for long. I said, “Couldn’t you just put them on the wall up there for me”, holding them aloft. “No”. That wasn’t on. Introducing bouncer number two: “You could just put them on the ledge there to the left”. And so I did. Two days later, I saw bouncer number two again, putting bottles on the aforementioned wall for folks. He told me that staff were coming by and slinging the drinks anyway. I was glad I had hidden mine in my waistband. September Girls are moody and broody. They are also girls. They reminded me of Veronica Falls in their early days, but without the catchy lyrics and chorus. With a bit more pep, they could be fab. Yes, most of this review was a pointless rant, but that’s life. I took the set-list: Heartbeats, Left Behind, Veneer, Ships, Talking, Flesh, Green Eyed, Sister.

Baby Strange
Dome Studio
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
A ‘punk power trio’, or so they say. I didn’t notice much by the way of a punk rebellion. I did notice the power. It’s the kind of power I tend to associate with rock. Guitars that plough instead of jangle. That said, the ploughing wasn’t frantic enough to please or annoy. I imagine that Baby Strange might appeal to people trying to rekindle a love of music after years of boring distractions.

Nico Vega
Brighthelm
Hideously Awful (2/10)
I shouldn’t really review this act, as I only caught the last two songs. I am including them purely to remind myself to avoid them at all future events, if possible. Wailing to Americans about America shouldn’t work anywhere. Here, America, in space, or with a trash can on your head. Wailing generally should not be classified as music. Even if you can wail really well. No. I feel for this act, as they seemed delighted to finally be getting some recognition, but whoever booked them was wrong. No.

Ezra Furman
Brighthelm
Ear Candy (8/10)
Ezra is coy, surreal and undoubtedly a showman. The band commence and Ezra is on some far trip away from the stage. Amusing expressions are offered. Anticipation builds. Then with a raging rattle we are off. It’s like the past and the future have combined to spawn an oddball musician destined to Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and, moreover, Ezra Furman you out. The songs have pace and power, and offer a rousing commotion. Or was I hoodwinked? Sometimes stage presence can do that to you.

Wild Cat Strike
Pavilion Tavern
Thumbs Up (5/10)
Indie pop – tick. Nothing less, nothing more. I wanted to see Rad Stewart. These guys played instead and it was quite pleasant.

We Have Band
Republic of Music, Shipwright Yard
Thumbs Up (5/10)
We Have Band say they make disco rock. I’d say they make disco and rock. While they don’t blend genres cohesively, the bouncier numbers had us bopping our hips and shoulders.

Fight Like Apes
Republic of Music
Ear Candy (7/10)
Fight Like Apes have a well-deserved cult following, yet seemingly little more. It breaks my heart to see them playing a grubby venue, in a slot for new bands. They have a great back catalogue of catchy riotous numbers that give me earworm, not to mention an amazing live presence. In the Pav Tav, a seriously horrible pub, they turned frowns up-side-down, spat water, engaged the audience in sing-alongs and entertained with gritty wit. The new song lacked the humorous anger that lights their tracks alive. To be frank it was bland. I hope they rekindle their mojo, and find a riot inside them soon. I took the set-list: You are the Hat, Do you Karate?, Tie Me Up with Jackets, I am Not a Merry Man, Thank God You Weren’t Thirsty, Crouching Bees, Ice Cream Apple Fuck, Jake Summers, Pretty Keen on Centrefolds, Battle Stations.

Hawk House
Republic of Music
Thumbs Up (5/10)
Really back to basics, stripped back hip hip. They suggested we sing along to the chorus. I had no idea which bit was the chorus. There was no melody to help me. Impressive, but not my scene.

East India Youth
Republic of Music
Ear Candy (8/10)
It was great to see the Total Strife Forever artist play his tracks without strife, yet I have to admit I missed him banging his equipment around and the fury that fired up his last set. I'm sure he didn’t miss the stress and this one man band offered a delicate, intense performance of all-consuming songs. Love the album, loved the show. Nuff said.

The Creases
Above Audio
Ear Candy (7.5/10)
I love a bit of ‘shimmering indie pop’ me. The ridiculous self-effacing Aussie jokes tell me that The Creases aren’t afraid of shameless, pointless fun either. I definitely want more, more, more of this Brisbane band. Sad words to jangly melodies will always steal my heart.

Pup
Bermuda Triangle
Thumbs Up (6/10)
I caught the end of this set. Not my scene. Fairly trashing, but I have to say it was pretty impressive all the same. Proper punk spirit. Music to flick the Vs to.

Bloody Knees
Bermuda Triangle
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
I may have mistaken Bloody Knees for the Bleeding Knees Club. What a shame, as I’d love to see the latter, with their indie-punk riffs. Alas, Bloody Knees are low-rent punk rock.

KiT
Green Door Store
Fucking Awesome (10/10)
Oh me oh my. What a high energy extravaganza this was. KiT had the whole room shifting their butts. It is no surprise this band come from the land of happy hardcore. None at all, but this aint no typical rave act. Fuelling the band’s beat are the tambú drums, the melody is purely electronic and the lyrics amount to party affirming chants, sung with an infectious Aruban accent. A winning live formula.

AK/DK
Brighton Electric Studio
Ear Candy (8/10)
Local lads done good. 8/10 in NME and everything! AKDK once told me, at a Zombie Zombie gig, that they were quite like Zombie Zombie. I think they are a bit more like Fuck Buttons, but with two sets of belting drums and a chipper, playful edge. Their anti-UKIP track was simultaneously a bit random and a bit inspiring. I live in is UKIP ward. It’s not okay. But dancing to an anti UKIP song is.

***Saturday 10th May

The Wet Secrets
The Blind Tiger
Ear Candy (7/10)
The band’s name, their costumes and smirks all indicate dubious intent, but they had me grinning. As the girls took their marching band outfits for a synchronized dance, the delight of self-ridicule was etched into the eyes, as a mischievous twinkle. There’s a certain subtle cheeky sassiness to their music which elevates it above a Sergeant Pepper tribute band status, and makes this a band worth bopping your socks to.

Alvvays
One Inch Badge at the Boutique
Ear Candy (7/10)
Alvvays want to move to Brighton. Perhaps they think it’s always The Great Escape and the Brighton Festival rolled into one. It is one hell of a weekend to be in town. Alvvays make gloomy indie pop, with clatter, fuzz and woozy female vocals. I almost thought about adopting them myself.

Physics House Band
One Inch Badge at the Boutique
Ear Candy (8/10)
Like colonic irrigation for the brain. I don’t think a single thought swept through my brain during this entire set. It was ridiculously intense. Afterwards, a local journalist told me that the band are stupidly overrated by the Brighton’s musos. I don’t know if I would listen to them at home, but I for one enjoy having a temporary lobotomy on a Saturday afternoon.

Neighbour
Sticky Mike’s
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
I walked out. Bland indie rock, with a smidgen of pop, versus hot Thai pasty. Thai pasty won!

Cheerleader
Corn Exchange
Ear Candy (6/10)
For a baby band, with little more than a demo and an online shop that says ‘Coming Soon!’ this was a mighty big stage. Part of me regretted not catching them at a smaller venue. Yet, they did a pretty fine job up there, with their gloomy, bright indie pop. As we all know, the best indie pop is built on an oxymoron. On ‘Do What You Want’ there was even some impressive whistling.

Years and Years
Corn Exchange
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
Okay. Let’s get this right from the start. I saw this band by accident. They were squashed between two other acts that handpicked by yours truly, and were somewhat of a surprise. I think they would fit in very nicely at the Radio One Big Weekender and I imagine they will be massive. I actually really enjoyed the keyboards, but the vocals, impressive as they were, equalled utterly insincere starter bra magnet. Hanging onto every other note, in perfect pitch, however skilful, is fucking annoying.

Coves
Corn Exchange
Thumbs Up (5/10)
I wasn’t sure if the tassels on sleeves, waving with every dramatic flip flap of the arm, were taking something away from the music. I felt as though I was on the verge of something worthy. I closed my eyes and I realised it was worthy. Too worthy. Perhaps if Coves took a chill pill or a thrill pin they could nail it. Instead, they sounded like a band that are trying, rather than a band that are living. The XX are safe for now.

Satellite Shores
Audio
Ear Candy (9/10)
You wake me up by telling facts as you put your shoes on. You wake me up by telling information that is useless at this point. If this band didn’t make such fantastic jangly, bouncing indie pop, I would fall in love with them simply for coining the term “telling facts”. I am going to be telling facts everywhere I go from this point onwards. The more useless the facts I tell the better. This Finnish act is bloody marvellous. End of.

Tyrannosaurus Dead
Pavilion Tavern
Thumbs Up (6/10)
Tyrannosaurus Dead first caught my attention last year. A local lo-fi indie band with a brilliant moniker. I really wanted them to play at my party. I hadn’t anticipated the drunken entourage and the grub of the Pav Tav for my first live experience. Do they live up to their name? Yes. They are fabulously geeky, cheerily melodic and very DIY. Go see them yourself, just so you can say “I went to see Tyrannosaurus Dead last night”. Hopefully, the inappropriately aggressive mosh pit was a one off. It doesn’t go with the music. I like a mosh pit as much as the next gal, but not one with over-sized middle-aged men fiercely slamming into me. You’re supposed to gently bounce off each other boys.

Mazes
Coalition
Ear Candy (7/10)
I decided to prioritise seeing pals above seeing Mazes. Then the queue didn’t let me. Then I only caught the last Mazes song. Fortunately, it was tip top. One should never put pals before bands.

Milky Chance
Blind Tiger
Thumbs Up (6/10)
I missed the first three tracks, but the rest was softly bouncy. I rather liked it.

Unknwn
Green Door Store
Not for Me Thanks (4/10)
Unknwn were in an unfortunate position. The collective Great Escape curators failed to put any loud bouncy music on to bring the night to a close. What a shambles! That is, unless the lively music was at one of those secret exclusive events. So there’s Unknwn with their minimalist electronica, and a lack of melody, and then there’s us. We that want to dance, jump around and cap our night off with some banging tunes. The minimalism didn’t work for me at home, it was unlikely to fair better live. I tried both before and after festival. That’s three tries in total. It just ends up annoying me.

Erotic Market Thumbs Up (5/10)
Yes, I agree. A 5/10 is no way to end a festival. At least the last two tracks bumped it up to a five. I am surprised by how many acts playing TGE take a minimalist approach to both rhythm and melody. Erotic Market, who didn’t even wear gimp suits, are part of this movement. Boooo! The rapping was undoubtedly impressive and the spikey chicken-like dance moves were briefly entertaining. Yet, it’s not enough for 30minutes. What was different about the last two tracks? What d’you reckon? They had just a little bit of pep. More of that please.

That's all folks!


Fabpants Recommends:

I think it’s time for an indie pop disco. Get ready to sway. It’s 1988 again!

The Creases - I Won't Wait



Satellite Stories - Sirens



Bleeding Knees Club - Teenage Girls



Tyrannosaurus Dead - 1992



Cheerleader – Do What You Want



Alvvays – Archie, Marry Me

No comments:

Post a Comment