Tuesday 22 January 2008

Timber!

A friend and I go for a little jog along the prom every Tuesday. Today, in the dark, and with poor vision, we noticed something mysterious afoot. Lined up along the barrier that runs between beach and prom was stuff, and this stuff went on and on. Was it rope, was it poles; what was it?

Well, I glanced and we jogged, I glanced and we jogged, and, after much glancing and little jogging, I could stand it no longer. Curiosity killed a shit band and it soon jogged me off course. I am so glad it did. What a sight; wood, wood, wood. Did I say ‘wood’? Yes, wood!

Not only were large planks of wood lined up along the edge of the prom, but the beach was absolutely covered in it.

Where there is wood, there is a six year old child in all of us. On our right, stood a perfectly formed hut; complete with a flag. On our left, stood the collapsed pile; the product of those that can’t but try.

And there is today’s little tale about wood.

Yes, the ‘Ice Prince’ shipwreck is old news, but I saw the word 'Dorset' in the headlines and neglected to read the rest of the article. That was some two days ago. Come on, what's Dorset to me?

It was a complete surprise to me that our beach is absolutely covered in wood!

And yes, before you say, “But Emily, don’t you ride along the seafront daily, how come you hadn’t noticed the wood before?” I have this to say: There’s a lot between the cycle path and the beach, and I like to look where I’m going.

Now shut up with your questions about my unobservant ignorance. I want to build, burn or do something amazing with wood.

Did I say ‘wood’? Yes, wood!

Wood In Pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurhurhur...wood...hurhurhur.

Post a Comment