Tuesday 1 January 2008

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

I decided to update my gig book today. It’s been on my mind recently, but I hadn’t realised the last update was in February 2006. My gig book (there are actually a few) is a place where I store gig tickets and flyers that I’ve managed to retain from my little nights out. I am a very sad individual, but I do like my organised nostalgia.

Here are the gigs I found bits of paper for:

2006
February 21stThe Cribs
February 23rdMary Hampton, supported by The Bobby McGees
March 6thFrank Turner, supported by Nothing
March 16thRock Brighton
March 18thHelp She Can’t Swim supported by Joeyfat and Das Wanderlust
April 3rdOom, supported by Damelza Jennings and Register
April 6thThis Lonely Soul
May 8thThis Lonely Soul
May 16thNothing, supported by Black Lines and Ikoma
May 18th-19th-20thThe Great Escape Festival
June 24thGardenbury Mini-Festival
July 2ndPolysics, supported by Quit Your Day Job
July 22nd – 23rdTruck Festival
July 28thThe Gin Club, supported by Conrad Vingoe, Kate Walsh and Eleanor Jane
August 26thReading Festival
September 13thAberfeldy
October 12thThe Holloways
October 18thGet Cape, Wear Cape, Fly
October 23rdPuscha, supported by Turncoat, Soundatlas, Daze One and Gentlemens Club
November 6thSix Nation State
November 12thMisty’s Big Adventure, supported by Kates Goes & Restless List
November 26thThis Lonely Soul
December 3rdMarowak Records Christmas Party
December 14thJoan as Policewomen, supported by Peggy Sue and the Pirates


2007
January 1stFat Boy Slim
January 6thThe Mountain Firework Company
January 13thSodastream, supported by Monkey Swallows the Universe and Airport Girl
February 11thRegina Spektor
February 12thBonnie Prince Billy
February 17thBearsuit, supported by the Retro Spankees and Das Wonderlust
April 17thCamera Obscura
April 20thWilf, supported by Illumanti 3
April 22ndAndy Yorke, supported by Oom
April 23rdHelp She Can’t Swim
June 12thCocorosie
June 22nd-23rd-24thGlastonbury Festival
June 30thKimya Dawson
July 13th-14th-15thLatitude Festival
Sept 14th-15th-16thEnd of the Road Festival
Sept 22nd-23rdTruck Festival
September 26thPeggy Sue and the Pirates, This Lonely Soul
October 12thMisty’s Big Adventure
October 17thGlobalista
October 24thJeffrey Lewis and the Jitters supported by Professor Louie
October 27thThis Lonely Soul
November 20thWobbly Squadron
November 25thBabyshambles
November 30thBeans on Toast
December 3rdViking Moses, supported by Little Wings, Tiger Saw, Golden Ghost & Phosphoresce

After updating my gig book - whilst singing along to Turin Brakes ‘The Optimist LP’ - I decided that I didn’t go to enough ‘non-festival’ gigs in 2007. I did visit Germany twice, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Spain, as well as trips to Coventry, Manchester, Norfolk (3 times), The Lakes, and Alton Towers. The challenge is to combine more trips away with gigs. Then I might have time for more live music treats. Or perhaps I should fully commit myself to live music by squatting in the rafters of a gig venue and surviving on dripped sweat and spilt beer. Who needs friends, trips abroad, or even an income, when there’s dripped sweat, spilt beer and live music going to waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment