Monday 25 October 2010

Gig Review: Zombie Zombie and Halloween Gets Closer

Zombie Zombie, Brighton’s The Hope, 25th July 2010

I'm a Zombie Zombie fan. I saw them first at Bestival in 2008. Then I saw them at The Freebutt in January 2009. I'm a lucky lucky lady.

Zombie Zombie is a band comprised of two.

Zombie one is Etienne Jaumet. Etienne's an electronic analogue Theremin brain chomper. I've also seen him play solo.

Zombie two is Cosmic Neman. Before death, he made himself known in a band called Herman Dune. Yes, I've seen Herman Dune play live too. I was suitably mesmerised by the simply ace drumming of Master Neman. As well as his sticks, Cosmic now boasts an odd electronic voice. He mostly yelps.

At the start of this gig, he spoke. Real words. It seems that Zombie Zombie have invited John Carpenter to live inside the one-bit memory of their one and only keyboard. GEE! The sonic terrain of the next hour would be inspired by the sci-fi master himself, covers an' all.

"Wow", I thought.

Within moments, music stole my cerebral cortex. An undeniable cinematic soundscape penetrated inwards. I sat, captivated, in the front row, on a chair that I'd rebelliously placed there. For the most part, Zombie Zombie's trademark eerie Theremin oscillations and distorted yelps took a back seat. Instead, Etienne and Cosmic created visual imagery with sound. Unbeknownst to me, somewhere in my subconscious John Carpenter resides. He gets everywhere. My mind made unexpected links. I fell into a retro-futuristic trance.

Zombie Zombie have since released a 5 track called 'Plays John Carpenter'. The tracklisting may tempt you to taste. 'Tis here:

1. The Bank Robbery (Taken From 'Escape From New York')
2. Escape From LA Main Theme
3. Assault on Precinct 13 Main Theme (feat. Romain Turzi)
4. Halloween Main Theme
5. The Thing Main Theme

Assault on Precinct 13, as played at The Hope, has kindly been shared on YouTube and has been watched almost 2,000 times as I type. I think about 40 people were at The Hope, if that!


Fabpants Recommends:

A wee while ago, I posted up a Zombie Zombie track called "Driving This Road Until Death Sets You Free". The video for this track is simply amazing. It will make you want to get out your old VHS recording of The Thing.



Yes, it's a remake of John Carpenter's movie "The Thing", in stop motion, with G.I. Joes. Blinding!

No comments:

Post a Comment