Tuesday 3 May 2011

Gig Review: The Kids Are Alright

Best Coast, Brighton Coalition, 2nd May 2011

This gig was sick.

Me and a bunch of school kids jumped around like loons.
Was it chaotic? Yeah, too right!

Best Coast's decision to play an unprepared cover of Blink 182's Dammit, with support acts in tow, created mayhem.

Band members took to crowd surfing and a girl from the audience found herself on stage, looking somewhat disoriented. We could all see her thought process, "Should I get off or should I pull a friend up? I sure as hell feel exposed up here alone." Cue the invasion: kids clambering over each other to fill that gap. If that wasn't today's number 1 topic in the school yard, I'll shoot myself in the toe: a stage invasion with 2 songs to go.

Best Coast played a natural set, lacking in pretension, and the crowd offered adoration. I like a gig where band and audience unite and, in doing so, create something special. The kids are fucking ace.

I hope Bethany enjoys having a wank and petting her cat. She said that was her homecoming plan. The last night of the tour was tops.



Fabpants Recommends:

I have been given an excellent compilation CD, created just for me. It is brilliant and 100% eclectic. Here’s one of the tracks, but I’m tempted to share more.

Example - Something in the Water





No comments:

Post a Comment