Saturday 24 November 2007

When Crisis Comes

In a month’s time I will abandon my post at our local mental health charity. I am sad to say, I must be on my way, to the land of risky gambles and a job that may not pay. And I am sad. I am sad because I will miss the crisis calls. Crisis calls, like buses, can be few and far between, but often, when they do come, several come at once. Crisis calls are the most important calls that I ever receive. A crisis call is a telephone call (surprise surprise!) from someone in crisis, usually with direct or indirect references to suicide. Giving time to a person in crisis is one of the most worthwhile things that anyone, anywhere in this world, can do. I will miss giving my time to people in crisis. I will not be there when crisis comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment