Tuesday 22 April 2008

Gig Review: Old Enough to be Jaded

I first saw Frank some time ago. I had just flown back from Dublin. I had my rucksack in tow and a very tired head. Between his life tales and wry witticisms, Frank sang his post-punk heart out. The lyrics were honest, brutal and heart warming. Unfortunately, I couldn’t hear them all. My baggage and I had to leave. We had to catch the dreaded last bus home.

One minute later, Frank dedicated a song to me. It was my birthday the following day. It’s the only time that anyone has ever dedicated a song to me, and me alone, and I missed it. No one could find me. ‘Emily?’ they called. Only silence answered back. It was a bad scenario all round.

I didn’t see Frank again for a long time. He always came to town when I was away. Recently, he seems to be everywhere. He is experiencing a media boom. He’s in newspapers, on posters, and in the songs that circle inside your head. He’s a banner ad on MySpace.

I saw Frank again last night. He was on stage. He was playing to a sold out audience. The audience doted on Frank’s every word, song and facial expression.

They danced, sang and smiled in rapture.

I was in acute pain. I had taken two Nurofen and two Paracetamol just to leave the house. I had cycled three miles across town wincing and occasionally shutting my eyes. I was very happy to see Frank again, but I was also sad. I wanted to be at the front dancing, singing and smiling in rapture.

Frank will play in bigger and bigger venues as the months go by. “Buy my album from your local independent record shop”, he asks. “Only let the independent shops stock them”, I reply.

How far to sell out, in order to spread your thoughts, work and ideology, is always a hard choice; and everyone needs a little money to live. Do your words become disingenuous when you find yourself inside a giant banner that's ‘powered by Google’? Can you blame that on your hardworking independent record label? Do the ends justify the means? Everyone needs a return on their investment. Google is such a nice word.

Support the label, support the chain with no name, support Frank Turner, but don’t click through on that Google ad.

Talk to Frank. Ask about drugs and Frank will get back to you. Frank is an affable man.

No comments:

Post a Comment