Friday 16 May 2008

Keep Calm +++ Thrill Factor Overload +++ Keep Calm

Films by homeless people rock!!! Last weekend, I went to see five short films made by local homeless people. Last weekend, The Odeon screened five short films made by people that have lived on the streets. How amazing is that? Instead of living round the back of the Cineplex, they’re making great films to show within it.

Have you ever heard of Ray Saxby? I'd never heard of this musical hall veteran either. What an absolute gem. As well as being the star of his own short film, he gave a stunning performance at the end of the showings. Mark Little, aka Joe Mangel, found it hard to follow Saxby's dazzling song and dance routine. Ray Saxby may have found himself homeless, but his showbiz spirit cannot be dampened. He’s a complete and utter natural.

I was most touched by watching the films about the First Base Day Centre. I refer people to Brighton Housing Trust all the time. I work in mental health, and housing issues are horrendously common. As I watched the films, I was warmed to see services flyers pinned to notice boards in the background; they are the same service flyers that I have pinned up above my desk. They were on the big screen at the Odeon.

“I was there yesterday”, I said nudging My Geek as a Brighton Unemployed Centre and Families Project leaflet hovered in the corner of the screen. It was stupidly exciting.

The characters presenting the Day Centre's facilities were just so warm and friendly that I felt inspired. We got to see regulars carrying bundles of washing, going for hot showers, recycling for charity, using the kitchen facilities and cheekily challenging the filmmakers to a game of snooker. Of course, Rax Saxby was there; merrily tinkling away on the Centre’s piano.

If you want to know more, check out the First Base Arts Project website.

I almost forgot to say, there was brilliant short film called ‘The Bike’ starring a ghost bike. I want a ghost bike when I’m dead.

At last I have written a will; an eight worded will. “I want a ghost bike when I’m dead.” You get all the news here first.

Fabpants Recommends: 'Pete and the Pirates' album 'A Little Death' breathed life into this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment