Thursday 12 June 2008

My Eyes are Dim, I cannot see

Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan performed in St Georges’ Church last night. St Georges’ Church is no Union Chapel. It is a vacuous church with little to merit a cosy atmosphere.

I arrived thirty minutes after the doors had opened, and all the chairs with a view had gone. Perhaps like the Theatre Royal, they should tier their prices so that the shit seats with no view are cheaper. Perhaps they should sell fewer tickets. I bought mine several months ago. Did I deserve a better seat than those that successfully abandoned work before seven?

Despite my grumbling, I was more fortunate than some. After trying out three different positions (oo-er missus), it became apparent that a space for two was available on a front row balcony. With some swift manoeuvring, My Geek and I had those seats for ourselves. It was far from ideal. By leaning forward, folding my body into a near topple, I could see. My Geek couldn’t see Mark Lanegan at all.

He didn’t miss much. A dim red light shone onto the backing band but not onto the ones with the fame and acclaim. I looked across at my fellow audience members. A long row of people on the second row of the opposite balcony leant their bodies in semi-desperate arches. I am in no doubt that they could see less than me.

It’s incredibly important to get a full and detailed view of the live performers that I’ve paid to see. I shy away from arenas and large venues because the idea of watching dots means nothing to me. It’s immensely dull to ‘not watch’ the people that you’ve paid to see, got excited about seeing, and given your time up for.

Unfortunately, despite having many beautiful tracks to their names, the experience of seeing Isobel and Mark was dreary. Yes, I loved the live experience of hearing ‘Saturday's Gone’ and ‘The Circus is Leaving Town’, but for the most past watching artists that look like mere shadows is frustrating and tedious. I truly tried, but enjoyment was hard to find.

A facial expression can add so much to a song. Sometimes it can be great to just shut your eyes and to travel on a song’s journey inside your mind, but when you open your eyes and see the people that perform it, it’s even better.

The new album lacks the draw of ‘Ballad of the Broken Seas’, and perhaps that’s partly to blame. ‘Sunday at Devil Dirt’ features Isobel’s voice so infrequently that it’s heart breaking. I’ve never been a big fan of the blues, and there’s too much of that too. ‘Sunday at Devil Dirt’ is way too Radio 2.

Isobel’s voice faltered during the show last night. Perhaps she should use it more. It’s a very nice voice. My Geek would leave me for that voice.

Fabpants Recommends: Marissa Nadler ‘The Saga of Mayflower May’. ‘Famous Song’ and ‘Old Love Haunts’ are incredible tracks. They wrap me in a blanket of warmth and sweetly nurture my vulnerabilities. I am thoroughly enjoying my investigation into Marissa’s back catalogue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'catalogue', not 'passage'? teehee.

Post a Comment