Thursday 19 June 2008

Gig Review: The Accidental Nature of Brilliance

Unless life tempts me with a surprise, I do believe that I have been to my last gig before Glastonbury.

The Accidental were gloriously shambolic last night. Talent, enthusiasm and witticisms saw them through a happy mess of mistakes and confusion. As I watched them perform ‘Wolves’, I wondered if all songs called ‘Wolves’ are intensely beautiful. You probably won’t have read my comments on this previous post, but I have an undeniable attachment to Phosphorescent’s track of the same name. I could listen to it on repeat for an entire day. You can do so yourself here:

Phosphorescent - Wolves (courtesy of stereogum.com).

It’s heart wrenchingly brilliant.

I am the music man, I come from down your way, and I can play. What can you play? Nada. Not even a tambourine.

Talking of tambourines, it was touching to read that Ian Brown lists his performance in the New Bands Tent at Glastonbury - back in 1998 - as one of his top five gigs. It was his first solo gig, or so I believe, and it was absolutely awful. I am so glad that somebody got something out of it. It marked me for life, but in a very different way.

Good on you Ian. I am running my first ever training session tomorrow. It could go either way too.

Fabpants Recommends: Black Kids ‘Wizard of Ahhhs’ EP. This bright shining light belongs in a brilliant and sparkly place. Like many truly great bands, Black Kids make songs about sad situations sound wonderfully happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment