Wednesday 25 June 2008

Heroin, Addiction and Me

I am leaving for Glastonbury in 15 minutes. The sun is shining and it's hot, hot, hot. If you have never been to Glastonbury, you will have no idea of how many great things await me. Life is so damn sweet. I am getting excited and I rarely get excited.

Before I go, I just want to big up Melvin Burgess’ book ‘Junk’. I started reading it on Saturday and finished it last night. It had me completely gripped. Junk is a children’s book that addresses heroin addiction without dumbing it down one iota. I love the fact that it combines youthful high spirits, addiction and a spirit of adventure. A community of hippy squatters, a massage parlour and a racist Tory add that little extra to the spellbinding tale of adolescent drug dependency, shoplifting and prostitution.

Talking of addiction, I have one episode left to watch of The Wire Season 4. I watch a season, give myself a few months to come down and then start all over again. It is very hard to leave home with one episode left. Even though, Glastonbury awaits, The Wire is immensely addictive. It's just so damn good. On the bright side, reconvening with The Wire will make coming home all the sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment