Tuesday 15 July 2008

Festival Review: I Saw Cows, Blue Skies and Beautiful People

I feel like ‘The Black Kids’ are stalking me. Many moons ago, way back in February, a pal suggested that we go to a few gigs together. I agreed to see every band that he suggested. It seemed like a great plan to me. One of the bands we bought tickets for wasn’t even playing in Brighton for four months. Yes, The Black Kids caught my friend’s attention early; he’s so cool. We bought tickets number 1 and 2 for what would become a sold out gig.

‘The Wizard of Ahhhs’ EP impressed me so much that I went to see The Black Kids at Glastonbury, knowing that I had tickets to see them again in two days time. My description of their Glastonbury set was ‘amazing at times and ropey at others’. I so wanted to love them. Even I had to admit that they were shockingly poor at times.

Last Thursday, a second viewing of The Black Kids confirmed my doubts. I decided that The Black Kids are far better recorded than live. After some deliberation, I decided not to see The Black Kids at 'Lounge on the Farm' festival. Still, The Cow Shed stage ran behind schedule all weekend, and I caught their last song. It sounded amazing, but had their whole set? Did I miss an amazing performance, or was it just like the other two? Amazing moments wrapped in shit?

I am going to Latitude Festival this weekend, I decided to revisit the line up this morning. I bet you can guess who's playing yet again. Yes, The Black Kids are giving me a fourth chance to see them in so many weeks. Who’s stalking who?

The Latitude Festival line-up, with times, is shown here:
Latitude Festival 2008, Clash Finder

Anyway, back to last weekend. Lounge on the Farm was brilliant. It’s like the best village fete ever. With a high percentage of teenagers present, but not your Reading ‘we’re trying so hard to be cool’ dimwits, there was a fantastic atmosphere. 'The School of Rock' stage gave young musicians a chance to try their hand at festival performances. The old folk had real chairs and hay bales to lounge on, and the toddlers had a ‘paint your own t-shirt’ tent to ‘get creative’ in. It was small and special.

Below you can see a list of the bands that I lounged about to (okay, there was some Fabpants style jumping and dancing too):

Rating system (from very best to very worst):
Fucking Awesome, Ear Candy, Thumbs Up, Not for Me Thanks, Hideously Awful

Friday, 11th July 2008
Amanes, FurthurThumbs Up
Lucy Kitt, Farm FolkThumbs Up
The Lovedays, Sheep DipNot for Me Thanks
Wobbly Squadron, FurthurEar Candy
J* Star and MC HoneybrownEar Candy
Polka Party, CowshedNot for Me Thanks
Lightspeed Champion, FollyEar Candy (covers performed badly, but very personably)
Lightspeed Champion, CowshedThumbs Up (a bit ropey)
Art Brut, CowshedFucking Awesome (Art Brut may be the best live act ever)
Holy Fuck, CowshedFucking Awesome (Holy Fuck!)

Saturday, 12th July 2008
Bohemia Ukele Band, FollyEar Candy (very jolly covers)
Raphael Mead, Farm FolkNot for Me Thanks (a bit dad rock)
Bonobo, FurthurThumbs Up
Mr Lovebucket, FurthurNot for Me Thanks
Sonny J, CowshedHideously Awful (cheese overload, half a song walk out!)
Los Campesinos, Sheep DipEar Candy
Mike Strutter, Sheep DipThumbs Up (moshpit mania)
Armitage Shanks, Sheep DipNot for Me Thanks (one song walkout)
Cats in Paris, FurthurEar Candy (experimental brilliance)
Kitty, Daisy and Lewis, Farm FolkEar Candy

Sunday, 13th July 2008
Emily and the Beast, Farm FolkNot for Me Thanks (but nice to hear Gloomy Sunday)
Nick Wilson, FollyThumbs Up
Ukele Gansters, Sheep DipThumbs Up (hilarious outfits and facial expressions)
Hotrods and Dragsters, Sheep DipThumbs Up
Natty, Cow ShedFucking Awesome
The Shortwave SetEar Candy
The BeesEar Candy
The CoralEar Candy (fucking awesome for two thirds of the set!)
Lupen CrookThumbs Up

While I had a brilliant Lounge on the Farm, I will be sending a complaint to the organisers. From 7.30am on Monday morning, aggressive stewards visited every tent on site. The forceful message was to get up, get packing and be off-site by nine. The stewards removed pegs from my friend’s tent when he refused to ‘show them his face’ and prove to them that he was getting up. I dread to think how many people they forced into drink driving. That’s no way to end a lovely festival. I have never experienced the like of it before. My first festival was in 1989, and I go to several each year, so that’s saying something!

Fabpants Recommends: Natty ‘July’. Listen to this track on every day of July. You deserve it. We all deserve it. It’s very lovely. You can listen to it here: Natty - July.

No comments:

Post a Comment