Monday 28 July 2008

Tales of the Black Freighter and The Cold War Vigilantes

“It is the oldest of ironies that are still the most satisfying: man, when preparing for bloody war, will orate loudly and most eloquently in the name of peace. This dichotomy is not an invention of the twentieth century, yet it is in this century that the most striking examples of the phenomena have appeared. Never before has man pursued global harmony more vocally while amassing stockpiles of weapons so devastating in their effect. The second world war – we were told – was The War To End Wars. The development of the atomic bomb is the Weapon to End Wars.

And yet wars continue. Currently, no nation on this planet is not involved in some form of armed struggle, if not against its neighbors then against internal forces. Furthermore, as ever escalating amounts of money are poured into the pursuit of the specific weapon or conflict that will bring everlasting peace, the drain on our economies creates a rundown urban landscape where crime flourishes and people are concerned less with national security than with the simple personal security needed to stop at the store late at night for a quart of milk without being mugged. The places we struggled so viciously to keep safe are becoming increasingly dangerous. The war to end all wars, the weapons to end wars, these things have failed us.”

The above is an excerpt from ‘Watchmen’ by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons and John Higgins. ‘Graphic novel’ is an inadequate label for this fine book. Watchmen originally ran as a twelve part series in 1986 – 1987.

Mixing the graphic novel format with diary entries, psychiatric reports, and fictitiously published articles, the book is dense. I’m not surprised to learn that it’s being turned into a film. I feel as though I am watching a film as I read it.

I'm sharing the above excerpt with one third of the book left unread. Why? Because I just can’t wait to share and it will make the book last longer; I can’t read while I write.

At times, the main story, a tale of ‘mostly’ non-superhuman people that live the secret - or not so secret - lives of aged, or retired, and greatly endangered costumed vigilantes, runs concurrently to the tale of a marooned sailor.

Within the graphic novel, a boy reads a comic called 'Tales of the Black Freighter'. Interspersed and entangled with cells from the main story, the chosen seafaring tale adds weighty gravitas. ‘Marooned’ follows the plight of the sole survivor of a pirate attack. The mariner builds a raft from the bloated corpses of his dead shipmates in a desperate attempt to return home. Cleverly harmonised with the main tale, the narrative and imagery of ‘Marooned’ inherently entwines itself with the main events of the day.

Mariner: “I’d swallowed too much birdflesh. I’d swallowed too much horror.” News Vendor: “I mean, World War Three. It’s a nightmare. The only people who can even think about it are the arms companies.” One cell says so much.

The events of the day, while fictitious, remind me of my childhood: the ever-looming threat of nuclear holocaust, the Cold War, and Raymond Briggs’ ‘When the Wind Blows’.

The genius of the book is undisputable. It just gets better and better and I’m in no doubt that it will continue to shock, amaze and entertain. The talent involved in creating this novel is humbling. It inspires faith in the human race, whilst simultaneously highlighting what a bunch of fucked up fuckwits we really are. If only we were all as insightful, intelligent, artistic and blessed with the ability to convey our thoughts.

It’s taken me a very long time to discover Watchmen. I read ‘When the Window Blows’ when I was ten. I was ready for Watchmen before its creation.

Fabpants Recommends: Born Ruffians - Red Yellow & Blue. The Guardian review is wrong, but what does The Guardian know about music? It might not be the best or most inspiring album of the last millennia, but it does say, “Please listen to me again and again; I'm trying to tell you something.” If I ever find what the secret message is, I will let you know. Until then, I can reliably inform you that ‘Hummingbird’ is a great track.

No comments:

Post a Comment