Monday 21 July 2008

Festival Review: Ignoring Friends at Festivals Since 1989

Back, bathed, and with the delicious scent of home cooked delicacies wafting from the kitchen. Latitude Festival was fantabulous. Yes, I have decided to add a new positive word to my lexicon. A gal like me needs them all. The more positive words combined into one the better. Holy fuck, I love this life.

Why is Latitude so great? Because the organisers went for a trip inside my mind and curated it just for me. At least, it feels that way.

Two years ago, I felt truly damned to have missed the first ever Latitude. For several months before the event, a broken record lived inside my head and sporadically issued sentences, such as ‘Why the fuck am I not going to the best new festival ever?’ I felt like I would regret it in the same way that I’ve always regretted not going to ‘All Tomorrows Parties’ in the year that Belle and Sebastian were the ringmasters of a Pontins paradise of live music .

Well, in 2007, I thought ‘Fuck it, if no one I know wants to go, I'll go alone’. It was time to stop all that 'feeling for sorry for myself' business. To be honest, I was the only person getting in my way. As for going it alone, I did the same for Reading 1989 and Glastonbury 1991. I had no excuse. Me, my tent, and I. I made new friends before changing wristbands both times. 19 years disappeared. When I blinked nothing much had changed. It seems that I can still make new friends before they realise their mistake, or I could in 2007.

This year, the fine year of 2008, I had a fine array of Latitude friends to ignore, from home and away. Yes, come along to a festival with me, and let me ignore you. It’s fabulous. You’ll be free, I’ll be free, and occasionally we’ll stand side by side grinning at something amazing; it might be a band, a comedian, a writer, a poet, an actor, a light show, a freak or someone we know. It’ll be great.

Who and what did I see this year...

Rating system (from very best to very worst):
Fucking Awesome, Ear Candy, Thumbs Up, Not for Me Thanks, Hideously Awful

(number) = number of songs seen when full set not seen (sometimes approximate)

Friday, 18th July
Robin Ince, ComedyEar Candy (US Foreign Policy is like the poem ‘There was an Old Woman who Swallowed a Fly’)
Adam Bloom, ComedyNot for Me Thanks (well scripted and delivered, but lowest common denominator content)
Gravenhurst, UncutThumbs Up
Slow Club, SunriseFucking Awesome (Anti-Folk brilliance)
Animal Kingdom, SunriseFucking Awesome (Sun soaked loveliness. No dark guys are following these guys)
The Aliens, Obelisk (3)Ear Candy
Bearsuit, LakeFucking Awesome (For the costumes alone!)
aPAtT, Lake Fucking Awesome
Jonquil, Lake Thumbs Up
Emmy the Great, SunriseEar Candy
Natty, SunriseThumbs Up (Twice in two weeks gave me ‘pop’ overload. The screaming girls didn’t help)
Clinic, SunriseEar Candy
Death Cab for Cutie, Obelisk Not for Me Thanks (that Seattle sound seeps through)
Franz Ferdinand, Obelisk
Ear Candy
Followed by a Guilty Pleasures Disco, Stella Plumes (drag queen) and Bearlesque (hairy, chubby, beardy boys who performed burlesque striptease to pop tunes).

Saturday, 19th July
Billy The Kid and The Brothers Barbaylios, SunriseEar Candy
Golden Silvers, UncutThumbs Up
White Lies, ObeliskFucking Awesome
Bill Bailey, ComedyThumbs Up (but could only see screen outside of tent so left half way through)
Fanfarlo, Obelisk Ear Candy
I am Kloot, Obelisk (5)Fucking Awesome (but clashed with SoKo)
SoKo, Sunrise Fucking Awesome (I laughed until I cried tears, quite literally)
Punch Brothers, SunriseNot for Me Thanks
Voluntary Butler Scheme, Lake (1) I wished I watched these; bad call. I only caught one song and it sounded great.
The House of Love, Uncut (5) Thumbs Up (but appalling sound)
This City, LakeThumbs Up (fantastic audience interaction)
Johnny Flynn, SunriseThumbs Up (brilliant final track: Tickle Me Pink)
Cheeky Cheeky and the Nosebleeds, Lake Thumbs Up (fucking awesome audience: kids as young as ten were crowd surfing)
Sigur Ros, ObeliskFucking Awesome
Darren Hayman, Literary (1)Fucking Awesome (apparently he played two songs in the Book Club; I caught the second)
Club de Fromage DJs, The WoodsIntermission of air guitar mayhem on The Woods.
The Buzzcocks, Film and Music
Thumbs Up (mainly for the three hits: What Do I Get?, Love You More and Ever Fallen in Love. The rest was a bit dull, but they really put the effort in, so that’s just me.)
Sunday, 20th July
Director Gurinder Chadha with Alan Davies, Film and MusicEar Candy (amusing interview with film clips)
Sam IsaacEar Candy
We Dream America, Film and MusicThe Broken Family Band say they’ve dropped their fake American accents. They can’t work out why a blogger - who saw them more recently - criticised them for still faking it. I hope they don’t read what I said about them at Latitude last year.
The School, LakeEar Candy
Those Dancing Days, Uncut (2)Not for Me Thanks
Noah and the Whale, UncutFucking Awesome
Luke Leighfield & Tim and Sam's Tim and the Sam Band, LakeEar Candy
Esser, SunriseThumbs Up
Patrick Watson, Uncut (2)Not for Me Thanks (bit wanky)
The Breeders, ObeliskHideously Awful (I had to walk away. I so wanted to love the Deal sisters. I felt embarrassed for them, but they looked like they were having fun.)
The Cock ‘n’ Bull Kid, Lake (2)Thumbs Up (but not as good as I anticipated)
Lykke Li, SunriseFucking Awesome (for her amazing stage presence)
Grinderman, Obelisk (6)Fucking Awesome (better than expected)
Interpol, ObeliskFucking Awesome (but I occasionally wished the punch was harder. This is the band I’ve been looking forward to seeing the most all year. I wanted my insides to be wrenched out, trampled on, and to watch my body being mutilated in an ecstatic trance. Perhaps I should have got closer!)
Dickie Beau, Film and MusicFucking Awesome (you can check out a rough and ready recording on YouTube, or just check out these clips from Judy Garland’s tapes courtesy of www.fiveoclockbot.com: Obvious Nazi Machine and Get the Hell out of My Life)
Death Ray Trebuchey, Film and Music (4) Ear Candy (late night get your knees up gypsy punk)
The Broken Hearts, Film and Music Great 50s music DJing
Lautrec vs Sonver (Soundtracking 2001 Space Odyssey), Film and Music
Fucking Awesome
Fabpants Recommends: Listen to every artist above that is Ear Candy or Fucking Awesome. I loved seeing the young crop of anti-folk musicians in action, so here’s a couple of MP3s for you:
Slow Club – When I go (courtesy of www.acertainromance.com)
SoKo - I’ll Kill Her (courtesy of hotlinkfiles.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment