Wednesday 9 July 2008

A Snapshot of My Life

At work today, I asked a man when he had last had a proper conversation with someone. Not functional dialogue, such as that necessitated by grocery purchasing. Apart from speaking to me a few weeks ago, he hadn’t had a proper conversation since June 2007. He was articulate, intelligent, witty and well dressed.

After work, I met up with a friend in England on business. He’s Australian. He was my boss for three years in the 1990s, and is a very dear pal. As we walked through town, we stumbled across a happening at Resident Records. ‘Sons of Noel and Adrian’ were playing an instore gig. The shop was crowded and it was hard to count the number of people in the band. I thought I spotted ten. So many musicians, in such a small space, amounted to a tremendously atmospheric sound. It was intense. I felt like I was living in the film High Fidelity, but fortunately without Jack Black. Music nerds surrounded me and it was rather lovely.

It’s been a long and rainy day. I love talking to my Australian friend. He is genuinely interested in ever-evolving story of Emily, and never loses his passionate interest in life and all its forms. My evening was full of great conversation and I'm a very lucky girl.

Fabpants Recommends: Jane Vain and the Dark Matter ‘Love Is Where the Smoke Is’. This album is a belter of wonderment. It’s deep, dark and smoky. I never thought that bleeps could sound so indie without the pop. It’s certainly not pop and it’s most definitely indie. Tortured souls disband and take over. Will it grate with time? Only time can tell. It might and then again it might not. It's one of those. Certain songs will grow and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment